Ismail Shabbir a tax enthusiastic seeking a career path in the field of taxation, is a Qualified Chartered Accountant with total experience of 6 years in external / internal audits, and tax.
Before joining BDO, he had worked for KPMG Taseer Hadi & Co and Grant Thornton Anjum Rahman (GTAR) as Deputy Manager Taxation and Audit Supervisor.
During his 2.5 years stay with KPMG, he had the opportunity of working on following areas:
- Representing clients in tax departments and Appellate forums i.e. Commissioner Appeals and Appellate Tribunal.
- Complying with Tax audits / withholding tax monitoring.
- Performing tax related assignments for KPMG Singapore, US and UK involving International tax treaties and transfer pricing requirements for their multinational clients operating in Pakistan.
- Responding to notices from Federal and Provincial tax authorities.
- Effectively managing client’s quarterly advance income tax liability.
- Effectively obtaining withholding tax exemption certificate from FBR.
Furthermore, he was involved in the area of tax planning and technical issues like business set-up, tax-efficient structuring, royalties, fee for technical services, technical collaboration agreements, management fee, taxation of income under double tax treaties etc.
At GTAR he worked for about 3.5 years and his last designation was as Audit Supervisor. His responsibilities included:
- Understanding of the client business, there system of internal controls and identifying deficiencies and recommending corrective measures.
- Reviewing and assisting in the preparation of financial statement and ensuring disclosure requirements of financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards ( IFRS) and Companies ordinance 1984 ( Now repealed as Companies Act 2017).
- Planning audit risk assessment and determining appropriate responses to address the risks identified including execution and conclusion of external audits.